Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween Candy Vegetarian Style

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

Hello everyone and welcome to my favorite holiday! I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday so far, but I know its early and the real Halloween fun will happen when the sun goes down.

 But why am I so obsessed with this day?  First off, I love the fall! And Halloween is the quintessential fall holiday.  I love the emerging pumpkins as both decorations and food.  I really enjoy the darkness of it too. Ok, ok, so I might be a little weird, but I just love skulls, blood, bats, and pirates.  In fact I actually HATE all things scary, but I do like dark and creepy.  But most of all, I just love dressing up.  I feel that every time you leave your house, you are dressing up.  When I go to work I wear my work costume (khaki pants and a uniform shirt), when I go out with my friends I wear my going out costume (usually a pair of jeans, a cute top, and lots of accessories), and when I need to be somewhere nice I wear my dressy clothes costume.  While most kids stopped playing dress up at a young age, I played until I was almost 15 years old.  I don't think I enjoy dress up because I don't like the person I am (though my crack pot shrink said that was the reason, glad I don't see her anymore), there is just something about being totally weird that really appeals to me. I hate the normal, to me it is a synonym for boring.  I love completely crazy, outlandish, and different. What I don't love is judgement.  Dressing up as a princess on just a random Wednesday, and walking down the street would yield the strangest of looks and remarks.  But on Halloween you can dress up as anything you want, can wear the strangest clothes and insane make up and no one would even think twice.  I wish every day were like Halloween, where you can go out completely expressing yourself and not one person judges you.  Only in a perfect world.

So I know this is a food related blog, so I will stop talking about the deeper meaning of Halloween and what It means to me. I don't really have the biggest sweet tooth, but seeing that its Halloween, I thought I would do a candy related post.  I haven't been trick or treating since I was 19...ok so that was only 3 years ago, but I'm most of you stopped that tradition way before that.  But it is Halloween, so you know there is going to be candy..everywhere, and you might as well know which ones are meat-free!  Here is a list of my favorite Halloween candies.

1.Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Photobucket
Source

I am obsessed with peanut butter and chocolate, peanuts and chocolate, peanuts, peanut butter  caramel, pretzels and chocolate.  If if has peanut butter, chocolate, and no meat, I'm pretty much in love. So it is no surprise that my favorite candy of all time is Reese's.  Not just the cups, but all the variations they make.  There is just something magical when chocolate and peanut butter comes together and get wrapped in orange.  When I went out and collected candy I was always thrilled when I got a Reese's in my bag, especially the pumpkin shaped ones!

2. Sour Patch Kids

Photobucket
Source

As I have mentioned here, the majority of gummy candy contains gelatin, however, those little sour colorful kids do not!  Not only do I love buying a big, over priced bag of these at the movies, but I love the little fun sized bags floating around the stores this time of year.  The are sweet, sour, chewy, colorful, and vegetarian. Winner in my book!

3. Twizzlers

Photobucket
Source

Now, unlike Reese's and Sour Patch Kids, Twizzlers are a candy I pretty much only eat during Halloween.  I love the chewy, fruitiness in those long strands.  And while the straws are great, nothing will ever beat pull and peal! Its like the candy version of string cheese.  Nothing beats a fun sized Twizzler after a night of trick or treating.  Again, chewy sans gelatin!

4. Almond Joy

Photobucket
Source

While I can't wait for pumpkin in the fall, I have almost the same amount of excitement for coconut in the summer.  So I love a little bit of summer coconut on a cold fall night.  Sometimes I am amazed of the perfectness of these coconut and almost covered in chocolate.  We all know you got your Mounds, which is just coconut and dark chocolate. But the amazingness of almond joy has both a delicious almond plus milk chocolate. Perfection.

I am interested to hear what your favorite Halloween candies are! And don't forget to keep an eye out for those not so friendly candies.  Make sure to always check your kids candy! Explain to them why you need to throw away certain ones.  By the time I was 12, after I came home from trick or treating I could check my own candy.

Here are the rules my family went by:
1. No candy that comes in a twisty wrapper (like Jolly Rachers).  It is easy to untwist them, add poison, and then re-close and look like nothing happened.
2. Nothing with no wrapper.  Again, sick people might poison it and just leave it out.  That means no fruit, or candies out of a bag.  One year a woman gave me a hand full of cookies from a box. Those when straight into the trash.
3. Check for open wrappers. Double check that all candy is 100% sealed.  Even the slightest opening might be evidence of being tampered with.
4. For the vegetarian houses, make sure to remove the candies that are not compatible.  I gave up meat at 11 years old, so that was 8 years of removing candy that wasn't meat free.  Check candy for gelatin and carmine color.  If you are unsure what's in your candy, the internet is a wonderful tool.

I hope you guys enjoyed my Halloween post.  I hope everyone as a safe, fun, and candy filled holiday!

Bye from the Veggie Side!


5 comments:

  1. Fun post! I'm with you, Reese's are the best. I'm convinced the eggs at easter time taste the best. I don't know why, but they totally do! :) I also love your candy checking rules. You sound just like me. You don't know what crazies might be out there! Working to pass along that way of thinking to my daughters. Today, girls must always be on the look out to keep themselves out of harms way. Happy Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much I'm glad you like it!!! Haha my dad was just like that, so now I'm super paranoid about trick or treat candy now! all my friends would stare at me when I was checking my own candy and throwing the bad ones away lol

      Delete
  2. Happy Halloween!! I wish you could dress up everyday! That would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats great that there are some vegetarian candy options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, looks GOOD :)
    Come over and check my halloween post :D LOL, I am sooooo excited about it :p

    XoXo
    http://abudhabifood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment! I appreciate everything you guys have to say, so go on and comment, I don't bite!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...