Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Peanut Butter Tofu

Hello everyone! I hope you are all having a good week.  I have really been enjoying cooking more now that I live in my own place. I can finally spread my cooking wings and make my way through the many recipes that I have been wanting to try.

I absolutely love tofu. As a vegetarian, I feel it is crucial for my diet.  I hate just eating veggies, because they don't fill me up, and while pasta and cheese are filling, they aren't good for you to eat all the time.  Tofu is filling, healthy, and full of protein. It is honestly the perfect food.

 photo 007_zpscbb14f97.jpg

If anyone were to ask what I would want my last meal to be, I would say tofu in peanut sauce. I love peanuts, and mixed with tofu is just a winning meal. I have eating peanut tofu many times in restaurants, but I finally took the plunge and tried to make it myself.

Recipe adapted from Grace (full) Plate.

What you need:
 photo 002_zps882f2541.jpg

1 Package of tofu
About 1 cup of creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup of brown sugar
4 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tsp of lime juice
1/2 tsp chili sauce
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup of water

What to do:

First you need to press your tofu.  Drain out all of the liquid from the package and remove the block of tofu. Wrap it up in a few layers of paper towels, and place it on a plate. Put another plate on top, with something heavy, like a book, on top of that plate, and let it sit for about 30 minutes. This will drain the moisture from the tofu, so it's more firm and it wont fall apart as easily.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, then combine the ingredients for the sauce: Peanut butter, brown sugar, garlic, lime juice, chili sauce, soy sauce, and water. Mix everything together in a medium bowl.

Cut up your tofu into pieces. I decided to make mine into cubes, but you can pick any shape, as long as they are pretty small. Put the tofu in your baking dish, and pour the peanut butter sauce on top.

 photo 004_zps3e4deb00.jpg

Bake for 30 minutes, and you're done!

I love how simple this was to make, just mix everything together and throw it in the oven!  I served mine with broccoli and fried rice.
 photo 010_zps460c7e64.jpg

Overall, I really liked the flavor of this peanut butter sauce. The mix of the soy sauce with the peanut butter gave it a nice Thai flavor.  However, there was a bit too much peanut butter. It felt more like I was spreading peanut butter on my tofu, instead of a peanut butter sauce.

 photo 011_zps2212752c.jpg

 photo 012_zps79b01ddb.jpg

Since tofu is so bland and it soaks up the flavor of what you cook it with, the peanut butter was a little overpowering, but it was perfect with the broccoli. I ended up mixing the tofu and the broccoli and it was amazing. Next time I will add more broccoli, and maybe a bit more chili sauce too, I like my food on the spicier side!

Will you be trying out this peanut butter tofu dish?

Bye from the Veggie Side!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're cooking more in your new space. Love tofu and peanut sauce - so yummy and good! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment! I appreciate everything you guys have to say, so go on and comment, I don't bite!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...