Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Cheese and Tomato Pie

Hello everyone! Today I have a recipe to share with you that I found on Pinterest. I love searching through Pinterest and finding easy, vegetarian meals. Of course, I also need to find meals that are budget-friendly. Now that I have moved away from home, and buy my own food, I have become price conscious. Most of the meals that I make have a limited number of ingredients, and are made with food that was on sale at the supermarket that week. I had saved this recipe from Design Corral, and cheese and tomatoes were on sale during the week.  My decision was made!

077

What you need:

064

1 Deep dish pie crust
4 Medium tomatoes
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
Basil
Salt & Pepper

What to do:
Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
Cut the tomatoes into slices, and arrange them flat on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt. Leave them for 20-30 minutes to drain.
Prebake the pie crust for 10 minutes.
In a bowl, mix the mayo, mozzarella, and cheddar cheeses.

066

Layer in the tomatoes until you fill up the pie crust.
Top the tomatoes with basil and pepper.

068

Spread the cheese/mayo mixture evenly over the tomatoes.

069

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.

070

075

080
My pie got a little ugly once I cut it, oh well!

What do you get when you cross pizza with comfort food?  Until  tried this cheesy tomato pie, that question would have stumped me too.  This was the prefect combination. The pie crust was light and flaky, which takes this meal away from pizza, and towards the comfort food side of the spectrum. The tomatoes were so juicy and fresh, and the basil gave it that Italian flavor. The top was so cheesy, and the mayo turned it into almost a cream sauce. All the flavors came together brilliantly, I nearly licked the plate clean!

What is your favorite comfort food collaboration? Are you going to try this cheese and tomato pie?

Bye from the Veggie Side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment! I appreciate everything you guys have to say, so go on and comment, I don't bite!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...