Saturday, November 2, 2013

My First Time...With Kale

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MEEEEE! Today is my 24th birthday...and I am at work right now.  Buts that's OK because I had an awesome Halloween, and I have plenty more awesomeness ahead of me today!

Today I am going to share with you a story about my first time dealing with something that I thought was pretty scary...kale. Oh kale. You are all over the Pinterest universe. Everyone says you are so amazing and can be used in all kinds of dishes, but I was always skeptical. See, the very first encounter I ever had with the green, leafy, veggie, was in the Bronx Zoo. When I used to work in the zoo, kale was on the diet of lots of animals, and to me kale was an "animal food." Monkeys eat monkey chow, lions eat raw meat, and giraffes eat kale.

005

Recently, a friend from work told me that she was experimenting with kale, and it was pretty good. I told her my fears of eating kale. She replied by surprising me of a baggie of my own kale. It was time to face my fears, and see what all the hype was.

003

The first thing I realized was...I had NO idea what to do with it! After scouring the internet, lots of people recommended sauteing it with some oil and garlic, like you would saute spinach. I decided to give it a go.

006

It was pretty simple to cook up. I just threw in the kale, some olive oil, a few gloves of garlic, salt and pepper. I sauteed it until the kale wilted.

007

008

Now that I had all this beautifully cooked kale, what do I eat with it??  I cooked up some pearled couscous and mixed it all together.

012

013

015

The kale was a little bitter and kind of chewy. It actually reminded me a bit of broccoli rabe. I would describe it as healthy tasting. I was really glad I decided to saute it, it make the kale really nice and garlic-y.

On the other hand, the pearled couscous, which I also have never tried before, was so good! The only way I can describe it is that it tasted like bubbles in my mouth. It was moist, and a bit creamy. The spices were really flavor, it had the perfect amount of garlic.

In the end I don't know if I would get kale again. It was OK, but didn't knock my socks off. At least my meal was vegan, which makes it a winner in my book!

Have you ever had kale? What is your favorite way to eat it?

Bye from the Veggie Side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment! I appreciate everything you guys have to say, so go on and comment, I don't bite!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...