Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Greek Potato and Olive Stew

I hope you are ready for another cool weather comfort food, and I hope you are storing up these recipes for fall, just like a squirrel collects nuts. Something happened the other day which really sealed the deal that fall is around the corner: I heard in a commercial that pumpkin flavor was back at Dunkin Donuts. You better believe I will be getting my pumpkin fix all fall and winter long! So while I am dreaming of falling leaves, pumpkin things, and Halloween, I am going to be eating this amazing Greek stew!

034

What you need:

5 Pounds of potatoes, pealed and cubed
1/2 cup olive oil
3 teaspoon dried oregano
1 jar of pitted Kalamata olives
10 gloves of garlic, chopped
40 oz can of pealed tomatoes
salt and pepper

What to do:
In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat and add the garlic, potatoes, olives, and stir it all up together to make sure everything is coated in oil.

030

Add the canned tomatoes and the oregano, and stir again.
Bring the mixture to a boil, and then lower the heat to a simmer.
Make sure to stir occasionally.
Keep checking your potatoes until they are tender, about 30-45 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

035

036

038

040

This stew was so incredibly flavorful. I actually didn't add any salt, it was perfect on its own, and I only added a touch of pepper. The oregano gave it an Italian flavor, while the olives make this stew unquestionably Greek.  While the oregano was cooking, it made my kitchen so fragrant. The garlic, tomatoes, and oregano almost made this stew taste like a tomato soup or sauce. I might even use this recipe to make my own tomato sauce. This was so warm and comforting, and the potatoes made it very hearty and filling. This actually reminded me of something my Greek grandma would make with all the Greek flavors, and the amazing homey feeling it gave me.

Adapted from Potato and Kalamata Olive Stew.

Will you be adding this stew to your fall and winter meal line up? What is your favorite stew?

Bye from the Veggie Side!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so hearty and delicious! Pumpkin drinks are at Dunkin and Starbucks! I'm excited to get one! When you come back to NY in October we have to hang out and chat at Starbucks over pumpkin-flavored drinks!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment! I appreciate everything you guys have to say, so go on and comment, I don't bite!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...