Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sweet Potato Tacos

You guys must think I'm a big liar. I start off by saying how much I hate Mexican food, yet I am constantly making it! I feel like I can't break out of the habit saying that I don't like it, because I still wont go out to a Mexican restaurant. I used to really dislike beans and corn, but I am slowly starting to like them. As long as I determine what goes into my Mexican meal, I guess I can say I like Mexican food.

I was looking for something a little different to cook. Lately I have been feeling like I'm in a cooking funk. I have been making a lot of the same foods around here, and I thought it was time for a change. I spotted a recipe for sweet potato tacos, and I went ahead and gave it a try!

SAM_0169

What you need:

SAM_0158

3 Medium sweet potatoes, pealed and diced
1 Can of corn
1 Can of black beans
1 Pack of taco seasoning
16 10-inch tortillas
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Cloves of garlic, diced
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp lime juice
Cilantro
Cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top
Salt and pepper

What do to:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange the sweet potatoes on the sheet.
Drizzle to coat the potatoes in olive oil.
Sprinkle the salt, pepper, and taco seasoning on top.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are soft, tossing a few times as they cook.
While the potatoes are baking, begin sauteing the garlic in an oil coated pan over medium heat.
Add in the corn, black beans, honey, and lime juice until heated.
Toss in the sweet potatoes and cilantro.
Pile on warmed tortillas and sprinkle with cheese.

SAM_0161

SAM_0166

SAM_0168

SAM_0171

The sweet potatoes, corn, and honey definitely added a lot of sweetness to the dish. The cheese was the perfect contrast so to cut the sweetness and I loved the sharpness of the cheddar. It had just a hint of heat, with some Mexican flavors. I wouldn't call this super authentic, but the beans had a nice bite, adding  protein to make it a complete meal.

I thought this was a great creation. Another Mexican meal to add to the list!

Will you try out these sweet potato tacos? What is your favorite take on a Mexican classic?

Bye from the Veggie Side!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read every comment! I appreciate everything you guys have to say, so go on and comment, I don't bite!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...