Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Couscous Salad

Hello everyone! Today I have a salad that is just perfect for spring!  It combines light and fresh flavors, with couscous, to make you forget you are even eating a salad. Not only is this easy to make, but it is vegan too!

 photo e1af348b-be48-4e7f-8d7b-377da71e1146_zps97b2d359.jpg





Here's what I used:

 photo 016_zps79580a4a.jpg

1 box (5 cups cooked) of Couscous
1 can of chickpeas
2 tomatoes
2 cucumbers
Olive oil
Lemon juice
Basil

Here's what I did:

 photo 022_zps48c0ac8a.jpg

Start by cooking the couscous according to the directions on the box.  Pour in 2 cups of water and either 1 tbsp of butter, or 1 tbsp of olive oil, to keep it vegan. Bring to a boil, then stir in the couscous, cover and let it stand for 5 minutes.  Fluff it up with a fork, then put it in the refrigerator to chill.

 photo 018_zps268acf29.jpg

Drain and rinse your chickpeas, and cut up the tomatoes and cucumbers into bite sized pieces  Optional: arrange them in a row and admire the prettifulness!

 photo 020_zps9a6e8e84.jpg

To make the dressing mix equal parts olive oil and lemon juice, then add your basil. I started with 3 tbsp of oil and lemon juice, and 1 tsp of basil. But once I tasted it with the salad, I poured in more of each to the big bowl, so in the end I'm not sure how much when into it.

 photo 027_zps652a5ee5.jpg

Mix the couscous, veggies (which are all actually fruits) and dressing together in a large bowl, chill, and serve!

I loved how fresh this tasted, it was a "salad" but it was still filling which is great.  I adapted this recipe from this post by The Garden Grazer!

Will you be trying out this fresh couscous salad?

Bye from the Veggie Side!

2 comments:

  1. I love couscous so much! I could eat it everyday and not get bored! It's just so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy looking couscous! Your post reminds me I haven't made couscous in awhile and I should. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I read every comment! I appreciate everything you guys have to say, so go on and comment, I don't bite!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...